Monday, July 13, 2009

Dreams of Defeating the Empire

What do dreams mean? I had an interesting dream last night, that might make a cool movie or video game.

I had just joined the rebellion against the empire, and I was given leadership responsibilities right away. The reason that I was so important was that I was a Porter. Not very many people can be Porters. It is something in the very make up of DNA that determines if you can use the ancient portal system.

I had Fred to help out on this first reconnaissance mission, and he had a lot of experience in the rebellion, and always had good advice as to what our next move should be. He was an older gentleman, but still seemed fairly spry.

The rebellion had heard of other supporters in another region of the system, and so we made our way to my "Home Base." I had played around in the old bunker when I was younger, and I had always been told to stay out of the stone cube in the center. I had thought that I couldn't get inside anyway, because of the force fields covering the openings. But a few weeks ago I had found that my genetic code would open those fields, and activate the transporter.

We were near the edge of the desert, and there were large black rocks protruding from the fine sand. The stairs were invisible until we were right in front of them, but I knew exactly where they were. We walked down the stairs into the dimly lit room. Technology was all around the edges, but no one knew how to operate most of it. In the center was a stone cube, with holes on three sides. I could stand up inside of it, by stooping just a little, so it was almost a room inside.

Fred came up beside me, and I checked my pocket. I still had the stone. I moved to the fourth wall of the cube, the one without a hole, and placed my hand on the circular pattern on it. The room begain to spin momentarily, and we were in a different cube. This one was in the middle of a forest. We got out and looked around.

Everything seemed peaceful, so it seemed the empire hadn't discovered this transporter yet, but we proceeded cautiously anyway. When we moved past a particular bush, a woman jumped out from behind it with a gun in hand.

"What makes the sky blue?" she asked.

"The tears of the innocent." was Fred's reply.

She lowered her weapon and said, "You must be the ones I've been waiting for. You're late."

I turned around and got a better look at her. She was a short and slightly plump woman with red hair and a fairly jolly expression. "I'm not late, you must have just showed up early." I told her.

I got back into the cube and touched the square pattern on the wall, and suddenly we were in a confined space in an alley. We jumped out and headed into the street. There were people everywhere, and somewhere there was another contact. I noticed a woman head into the alleyway that we had come out of, and when I could see straight in, I could tell that she was gone, and had used the transporter. If I could find where she went, maybe she would join the rebellion.

We didn't seem to be having any luck finding another contact, and Fred suggested we return another time.

We all got back into the transporter, and thinking of going home, I touched the triangular pattern that was on the wall. In an instant we were back under the desert.

We heard something outside, which wasn't good, because not much lived out here. Fred and Jessie went out the back way, and I headed up the front stairs. What greeted me was a horrible sight. A whole regimen of the empire's men with guns stood around the opening. I recognized the one that seemed to be in charge as a Porter, the one that was helping the empire to move around.

"We finally found you. I was hoping that you would join us without too much trouble. However a little bit of trouble might be fun, eh?" He threw something at me that caused an explosion, and I went tumbling down the stairs.

Luckily, I didn't seem to be hurt. I didn't have much time, I needed to jump into the transporter before they came down after me. I hoped that Fred and Jessie hadn't been caught. If they hadn't been seen, the empire would probably try to follow me, and I could try to find them again later. I jumped into the small cube and touched the wall, thinking to return to the jungle, which had plenty of cover to hide in.

After the flash of light, what met my eyes was an endless desert surrounding me. This was right in the middle of the desert, not at the edge where I had been, and I could see nothing for miles around but sand.

This can't be right, I'm not supposed to be here. I reached for my pocket, and found my stone missing. Fear gripped me. My DNA may be able to activate the transporters, but without the stone, I would not be able to control where it sent me. I could be sent to a non-functional transporter, or right into the center of an empire base.

I had no choice, I may be hundreds of miles from any civilization or water, so I had to use the transporter again. I slowly placed my hand on the engraving of a flower on the wall, and waited as the light flashed for a moment.

All around me I heard shouting, and the firing of shots, I ducked and tried to look around. This transporter had its force shields up, but that wasn't stopping the empire troops from firing at me, and trying to find a weakness where they could get the shots through. I couldn't stay here, so again I touched the wall, this time on a group of squiggly lines.

After the jump I found myself facing a wall with four squares, with concentric circles around where the squares met. One of the squares seemed to be set back from the others, crumbling from abuse.

Laser blasts shot past my head, and I realized that I was in another camp of the empire, but this transporter didn't seem to have any force shields left. I put my hand on the wall, but nothing happened!

The squares need to be realigned, so I pulled on the square that had been pushed back, so that it was flush with the others, with laser fire all around me. I pressed my hand and was engulfed in a blinding light.

When I could see again, I found myself inside of the cube at the front of the university. A woman was lying on the floor of the cube. "What are you doing here?" she asked indignantly.

Not really listening to her, I said to myself, "I'm back at the university."

"Are you a student too?" She asked.

"I was, but I've graduated now." I said as I hopped out of the stone cube.

She followed me, and I noticed that it was the woman from the city who has used the transporter. "I could use some help." I said.

"Are you loyal to the school?" she asked.

I replied, "Forever and to the last man."

"Come with me." she said.


And that is where the dream ended, with the alarm going off. Does this dream mean anything? Should I do something with this story? Should I just forget it? I took a class on dreams in college, so maybe I'll try to make sense of this in another post.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I don't know dear, I suppose you'd have to be into the movie or something, but I was like "what?", "huh?". I'm sure it's all cool in your dream though. I love you ;)