Sunday, April 13, 2008

Religion

I hope to post on all of the various subjects that would be taboo on a site that is all just cutesy family photos. So first of all posting on religious musings (It is Sunday.)

I watched the LDS General Conference last weekend, and of course it had the usual spiritual uplift, but there were some things that I noticed that make those at the head of the Church seem more human. It seemed to me at least that President Monson was actually humbled by his new calling. He has been an apostle for many years, and a counselor in the first presidency for a long time as well, but now he is the one in charge. He didn't seem like someone who had been seeking for power, he seemed like one who was overwhelmed by a sense of responsibility.

Of course he is following the example of Christ, as should someone who is the prophet, but sometimes it is hard to see for certain who they are on television, such as when they are giving a press release. Of course, in the video shown here, he hadn't just been sustained with a solemn assembly. Like Elder Holland said, we were able to see the mantle fall upon him.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I was excited about Thomas S. Monson becoming prophet. I had met him back when I was 12 years old, and I always thought he was a really remarkable man. And don't worry... so far your blog is not boring...although I like the clever name! =)

Troy said...

Yes, he definitely is remarkable. I was able to see him in the past year speak, and he is much more relaxed speaking to a smaller group. He had some great stories, and you can tell he really does care about people.