Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Opposites Attract




Becca is my opposite, while I don't mind things to be a little bit messy, she likes them sparkling clean. I tend to procrastinate, Becca does things now. I like to relax, Becca never seems to rest. I like new technology, Becca still misses her old Windows 98 computer. I like to be with lots of family, Becca likes to keep things small with just us.
We do have in common that we love each other, and we love our children, and we have been able to make it work. We both compromise on various things to help maintain a balance. Becca may be different from me, but I need her to help me where I am lacking. I recognize I have some bad habits, like procrastinating, and I am trying to follow her example. I would like to help her learn to relax a little, and in some small way help her the way that she is helping me.
Becca, then and now


She is a wonderful wife and mother. She says that it isn't her that has helped the kids be so smart, but I still know that it is. She has encouraged them, and tends to find fun activities for them to learn new things. For instance, Jewelia is now learning her ABCs, and so every day she sings the ABC song with her, and they put together the alphabet puzzle. I try to encourage them in my own way, whenever they ask questions, I don't just put them off or tell them they will understand later, I try to explain things to them as best I can, even if the explanations get a bit technical, the children like to hear the answer. I'm not saying that we are the greatest parents ever, and I know that our kids are really smart, but I think that my wife has a much larger influence than she will admit.

4 comments:

Juliet said...

I think that is true of most parent. I don't think people want to walk around and say " yeah my kids are smart and I worked with them all day". I know I read to JP and Ash every night and we go over ABC's and Numbers. JP loves to listen to me sing them and everyone in medical professions say that is what helps. So I'm sure you both are wonderful parents! Anyone who is just involved with their kids is helping their future. Nothing is more important at this age than spending time with them.

Sally and Paul said...

You are both good parents. We love to be with you. Keep up the neat blog.

Rachel said...

your boring blog rules! =) i especially like the before and afters of becca.

Becca said...

Of course you have to use the most BLAH picture of me as "now"!